What causes extremely Dry Skin?
Dry skin can be a condition that you always battle, due to medical conditions such as dermatitis – including eczema and psoriasis, and type 2 diabetes. It can also be brought on by factors such as weather conditions, hot water and chemicals, all of which can cause skin to dry out.
Dry skin is also seen as part of the ageing process, with less oil produced by the skin in older adults. Most people will experience it from time to time, as it results from a lack of moisture within the skin. It differs from dehydrated skin, which is best tackled through water consumption and fresh food, alongside the use of moisture retaining products. With dry skin, flaky patches can appear on the skin and it is more fragile.
Sufferers of extremely dry skin should seek medical advice to determine the cause and treatment required.
Improving Dry Skin
The key to seeing an improvement in dry skin, is to increase the moisture contained within it. Avoiding or minimising the factors shown above, will help improve the skin’s condition. As with so many beauty concerns, drink plenty of water so the body remains hydrated.
Make sure your shower or bath water isn’t too hot and avoid spending too much time in the water. Use a moisturising body wash or soap and apply a moisturiser, after patting your skin dry, while it is slightly damp. Avoid rubbing the skin unnecessarily.
If your home or office has very dry air, particularly if you have air conditioning or central heating turned on, try using a humidifier. Humid air will replenish moisture in the top layer of the skin.
Check the ingredients list on your skincare products. Avoid those that could strip away natural oils. Lotions with alcohol and/or artificial perfumes may dry your skin further. Make sure products are not changing the natural pH level of your skin.
Improvements from within
Foods high in omega oils can help maintain your skin’s natural moisture levels. Oily fish, flax seeds and hemp seeds all contain high levels of fatty acids, helping to prevent water loss from the epidermis.
Ingredients to look for in skincare
Honey Extract – Increases the moisture content of the skin. Softens and smooths. Nourishes, heals and soothes.
Hyaluronic acid – Preserves moisture. Holds 1,000 times its weight in water.
Royal Jelly Extract – Packed with vitamins, sugars, proteins, lipids and minerals. It nourishes, oxygenates. Increases skin resilience. Preserves moisture.
Squalane (from Spanish green olives) – Rich in vitamins A and E. Compatible with human skin lipids. Increases the moisture content of the skin. Softens and smooths.
Vitamin A – Increases the moisture content of the skin. Neutralises free-radicals. Softens and smooths.
Vitamin E – Neutralises free-radicals. Increases the water content of the skin. Protects, nourishes and repairs.
PRODUCTS FROM PEVONIA
For details of all the products designed to address dry skin concerns, check Skin Types & Symptoms. Here you will find products for the face and body.
Pevonia has a skincare range specifically for individuals with dry skin:
– Non-greasy cleanser that produces an exquisite, creamy lather
– Does not alter the skin’s pH
– Cleanses thoroughly, while moisturising and protecting the skin
– Reduces irritation and flakiness
– Leaves the skin soft, supple, hydrated and completely refreshed
– Recommended for dry skin but suitable for all skin types
– Family-friendly, great for all ages
– A hydrating moisturiser
– Deeply nourishing
– Counteracts dryness
– Nourishes and energises
– Combats the signs of ageing
– Protects against dehydration
– Contains hyaluronic acid, royal jelly extract, vitamins A, C and E, along with honey
– A non-greasy, highly concentrated serum packed with antioxidants
– Ease dryness
– Hydrates and nourishes
– Smoothes wrinkles, evens skin tone,
– Fights free radicals
– Contains squalane, vitamins A and E, azulene (which gives the beautiful natural blue colour) and mandarin orange oil
– Holistic wellness & self-care
– Heavenly, aromatic scent
– Advanced formula, non-greasy texture
– Skin-friendly base oils
– Premium natural blend
– De-stressing, promotes feeling of well-being and relaxation
– Deeply moisturising at-home treatment booster
– Reduces irritation and flakiness
– Eases away uncomfortable tight skin sensation
– Restores and strengthens skin barrier for optimal skin health
– Renders skin texture smooth and supple