HOW TO KEEP YOUR SKIN HYDRATED DURING THE SUMMER SEASON
You are so flaky! Words you never want to hear about your skin, or your disposition, for that matter! As Pevonia is committed to skin positivity that avoids such statements, we’ve compiled skin hydration tips that reveal how to keep your skin hydrated in summer.
Skin Hydration Tips
Summer heat robs your skin of its natural lipids, weakening the barrier and leaving it vulnerable to superficial dehydration. For those lucky enough to have it, you can escape the heat by staying glued to your AC, but that also parches skin. What to do? Before diving in, let’s get something clear: the problem isn’t just how to stay hydrated but how to keep your skin moisturised without clogging your pores or looking like an oil slick.
You could slather on potions galore to get the dewy complexion you seek, but summer humidity won’t allow it. Going overboard with too many layers of products or heavy formulas and skin may feel sticky, look shiny, and melt right off. You also run the risk of clogging your pores – causing another type of meltdown altogether. On the other hand, if you use too light of an approach, your skin won’t get the moisture it needs. Remember: a luminous complexion is what you want to aim for, not a gleaming beacon that can be seen from space!
Here’s how to avoid those pesky fine lines and flakes that signal skin is superficially dehydrated and stay fresh-looking all season:
- Head it off at the pass: it’s a lot easier (and advisable!) to keep skin moist and dewy than trying to fix bone-dry skin. To do this, wash with a sulfate-free natural foaming cleanser and tone with an alcohol-free toner, lotion or facial mist that will leave your skin feeling fresh, never tight.
- Keep it light: instead of a thick, mineral oil-based skin care cream, use moisturising skincare products with Hyaluronic Acid, plant-based Glycerin, Aloe and Panthenol, which increase moisture levels naturally without the heaviness of synthetic ingredients.
- Add a facial mist to your routine: instead of water-only sprays, spritz throughout the day with a nutrient-infused rejuvenating mist to counteract the summer swelter. You can also give your face, neck, and chest a light spray before applying a hydrating lotion or serum. This enables you to brandish with a lighter hand – just refreshing moisture without a weighty after-feel.
- Get deep; use a concentrated serum formulated to penetrate deeply. The Pevonia Hyaluronic Acid Hydra-Serum uses advanced fragmentation technology to ensure optimal skin moisturisation.
- Strike a balance: whether you are in a muggy climate or one without a drop of humidity in the air, your best bet during the hot summer is a natural face moisturiser that helps control excess oil while addressing drier cheeks.
- Up top: go beyond Hyaluronic Acid. Don’t get us wrong, this moisturising superstar is a must, but it isn’t the only game in town. Adding in Marine Collagen can help lock that moisture in. The Pevonia Marine Collagen Cream and many of our other natural skin care products use this gift from the ocean for just this reason.
- Look ahead: we know getting clean and dressed can be challenging some days during the week’s hustle and bustle, putting body moisturiser low on your priority list. Thinking ahead to the weekend and what you will be wearing can help you stay on track! Budget just a few extra minutes to swipe on a hydrating lotion to prevent moisture from being sapped, so that come that barbecue or summer party, you can rock shorts and tanks without alligator skin.
Increase your chances: use a gentle exfoliant to remove surface dead skin cells, which will encourage the best absorption from your Pevonia treatments and natural skin care.
- Sip, don’t chug: think of water intake like a drip system versus a firehose. You want to soak up water, not flood your insides! Clear urine can indicate that your water is not staying in well, which occurs when gulping or chugging a large amount on an empty stomach. Sip throughout the day and tack on additional H2O to compensate for the diuretic effects of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages.
- Eat your water: consume water-rich fruits of vegetables to boost your skin’s moisture levels from the inside out. Include nutrients like minerals, healthy fats, and amino acids found to help the body hold onto more water for optimal hydration levels. If you can’t stomach water, we have good news! Studies show that beverages like milk, tea, and juice equally do the job.
- Don’t be an overachiever: it is possible to drink too much water. Some signs you’ve taken this hydration thing too far are clear urine, cramps in your feet, and a sensation of being water-logged. While few people have this issue, those that tend to overdo should monitor their intake and replenish electrolytes like potassium and salt that excess water flushes away. But check with your doctor to determine what is right for you.
- Sweat smarter: we’re all for exercise for total body wellness but use a little common sense. When summer temperatures reach high levels, avoid excessively strenuous outdoor activities to prevent heat exhaustion.