BEACH READY SUNSCREEN AND SKIN CARE TIPS
As you get ready to hit the sand this summer, we know that beach skin care is top of mind. You have been on your regime game all year, so don’t stop now! But being under wraps for half the year can make the most dedicated beauty enthusiast become a little lax with their sunscreen and skin care. We have before and after beach skin care tips to stay beautiful all season.
Beach Skin Care
Sunscreen and skin care are essential for long, sultry beach days to ensure your complexion stays healthy and youthful-looking year-round.
If you haven’t abandoned the notion that you need to get a base tan to avoid burning, maybe it’s a great time to consider it. A skin-safe option is to get glowing with self-tanners instead to look good in your swimsuit or trunks as well as when wearing the latest summer fashion.
Having a beach bag stocked with natural skin care products is the first step to being beach-ready. That way, you will be ready for whatever beach parties or picnics crop up and be protected wherever you go!
Here’s a checklist to help you pack:
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen – Broad-spectrum formulas shields against UVA (ultraviolet A) and UVB (ultraviolet B) rays to better protect you from sunburn, skin cancer and early skin ageing. Afraid of irritation or breakouts? Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide mineral sunscreens are ideal for sensitive and acne-prone skin.
- Follow directions – The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using sunscreens with an SPF 30 or higher. They also advise reapplying every 2 hours and after swimming or sweating as sunlight breaks down sunscreen filters.
- Check expiration dates – You are good to go if the date checks out. Not sure? Ditch last year’s sunscreen leftovers and start fresh with one that tackles damaging blue light emitted from electronic devices and moisturises, too!
- Think of the ocean – Make sure your sunscreen is ocean and reef safe to protect marine life while protecting your skin. If not, toss and replace it!
- Pack some shade – While avoiding direct sun exposure is the safest way to go, we don’t want you to be a hermit! A beach umbrella will enable you to create shade wherever you go. If you forget your umbrella, find a spot in the shade to relax when possible.
- Accessorize for the occasion – A large-brimmed hat and oversized sunglasses will protect your eyes and face, plus look chic and stylish. While setting new trends, consider wearing clothing with sun protection built in.
- Spray all day – A moisturizing mist is a prerequisite for fresh, dewy skin beachside. Opt for one with moisturizing and soothing ingredients to revitalize thirsty skin. And, skip water-only sprays, which can dehydrate the skin.
After Beach Skin Care
If you apply sunscreen consistently without exception, we give you an A+. But not so fast! When skin is exposed to the sun, the tan that develops is your skin’s attempt to shield you from the sun’s harmful rays. It is also an indicator that your skin has been injured.
It is crucial to head off sun damage pronto! Even without burning, the damage caused by UVA rays, a.k.a. aging rays, triggers a surge of enzymes that break down vital components of your skin. This hampers the skin’s ability to repair itself and triggers free radical damage. Dermal vessels, DNA, skin immunity and moisture levels are all impaired. Repeat exposure leads to fine lines and uneven skin tone initially. Then, after years of too much fun in the sun, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation develop, along with a thick, leathery texture.
You can help arrest the damage with the After Sun Soothing Gel. With the amino acid Sodium Palmitoyl Proline, this calming gel gets to work supporting your weakened skin barrier and natural protein production. But, if you have a nasty burn, natural skin care savers like soothing Chamomile, Green Tea and White Water Lily will cool and help take down redness.
Next, you may want to use a skin rejuvenation cream that focuses on soothing while scaling back on harsh acids and peels. Dry skin may become more parched, sensitive and rosacea-prone skin may experience more redness and irritation, and acne-prone skin often sees more breakouts. No matter your skin type or condition, there are healthy antidotes! Stuck in the middle? An Aloe Vera-based facial moisturizer that helps get skin back in balance is a safe bet. With just the right amount of non-comedogenic (non-pore clogging) oils to boost moisture and gentle excess oil control, your skin will feel fresh and soft.
Safe Sun Facts
There are a few potential pitfalls to avoid for the safest sunscreen and skin care. You need an ounce of sunscreen to cover your entire body so this translates to quite a lot of makeup and we know you wouldn’t dream of wearing that much makeup in the muggy months of summer!
Second, don’t believe sunscreens labelled as waterproof, as there is no such thing as waterproof or sweatproof sunscreen. If you plan to spend time in the water, even water-resistant formulas won’t protect you longer than 40 or 80 minutes.
Lastly, remember that sunscreen use is not a license to bake in the sun endlessly! So, to enjoy the summer and ensure healthy skin this season, set a reminder on your phone to reapply sunscreen every two hours. Reapply. Reapply. Reapply. Did we mention you need to reapply?
Pevonia’s Sun Line offers a Hydrating Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF40, an After-Sun Soothing Gel, a Phyto-Aromatic Mist Spray and a Tinted Cream with SPF30.